Our Values and Mission
do yoga. be you. find peace.
We at Smiling Dog are kind of nerdy this way. We have taken the time to define our Mission and Core Values to help us stay on track and committed to the yogi way. We think they’re so good, we just had to share. Let us know of feedback/suggestions.
Helping people become healthier, happier versions of themselves.
- Committed to Living Yoga. We bring the yogic attitude to all we do. Aware that we must take care of ourselves beyond the mat and nourish ourselves in multiple dimensions. Committed to not letting our ego’s get the best of us. Striving to live well balanced lives, focused on responsibilities, relationships, recreation, and rest.
- Continuously Evolving. Aware that we must evolve to remain useful and relevant (as yoga river guides especially). Questioning the status quo. Pushing ourselves to our healthy edge and inspiring others to do the same. Not judgmental of where we are today. Willing to suck on or off the mat knowing that this is where true growth and change happens.
- Liberatingly Honest and Full of Integrity. Aligned with the concept of Satyam or Truth from the Yamas in the Yoga Sutras. Willing to be honest with ourselves and others. Have the courage to say no. Have the courage to face the truth. Do the right thing because it is right. “All nature loves an honest person.”
- Paying it Forward. Practicing Karma Yoga, Seva, and sharing as much yoga love as possible. Thankful to be part of such a great community and to serve in whatever ways we can. Helpful because we can, not because we have to. Seeking first to understand, then to be understood. Caring for each other, our vendors, students. Striving for win-win in all situations. Taking actions that lead to long term happiness in ourselves and others.
- Proactive. This means more than merely taking initiative. We have the responsibility to make things happen. Once we have taken control of our lives we can begin to influence our world-our homes, workplace and community. Bring solutions to observed problems rather than merely complaining about conditions.
- Environmentally Conscious. Conscious that maintaining a healthy planet is the paramount responsibility of every human being. Commit to taking actions to minimize environmental footprints, at the studio, in our personal lives, and beyond.
- Committed to “3 C’s”.
- Competence – knowing what we are doing
- Character – doing the right thing, even when it’s not convenient
- Compassion – care as much about others as we do ourselves
- Respectful. Treating others as we wish to be treated, with courtesy, politeness, and kindness.